Friday, December 5, 2008

Reading Traffic: A Higher Brain Function

Like much of the rants sure to come about on this vast wasteland of detritus-texts that are the internets, THIS post has been a long time coming.

You all can identify with what is about to unfold. You have encountered it and maybe even share a similar loathing for it as do I. When driving you have come across a multi lane stretch of road. This is to ease the flow of traffic to prevent congestion in an urban area. Smart enough. And along these stretches you may likely spy a row of traffic lights. THESE are meant to aid in the control and flow of traffic from intersection to intersection. Smart enough again. What of course pokes a massive hole in this intelligent design (not the god kind) is the set of lights that do not offer turn signals at streets that require them! If you are a street that has access from the left, as do most, request that your accompanying light have an extra globe with a GREEN ARROW IN IT.

Putmeinchargeoftrafficlights!!!

What is the function of having 16 green lights in a row, when none of them offer the option to turn left? Yeah theres 47 lanes of open traffic going straight, but as soon as that left most lane needs to to turn, instant deadlock. That is until someone can squeak out, stage left. And as many of you have likely encountered this, you also know that this Left-light-poser with its false assurance of left turning, never permits more than one car per light rotation. So if 6 cars have to turn left, chances are accounting for traffic businesss (read busy-ness), one cars is maybe getting through, two tops if they trail each caravan style. On a rare occasion, a driver will pull what is called a California Left, which involves the mere cunning and balls of the driver to blow through a red light before the oncoming opposite side moves.

The issue of arrow-less light is grating for sure in multi lane streets. However, when a double traffic light exists on a single lane street? THAT is about as useful as an elbow on your eyelid; equally as dumb and dysfunctional. Why, why WHY?!? would anyone need a second green light with no arrow... I already know Im stuck to wait to turn, but to make matters more ridiculous, you have a second light, entirely worthless, reminding me that if it HAD an arrow light, I would be on my way already. But no, there we all sit, staring at TWO green lights, waiting to turn left and can't, while everybody stuck behind us is contemplating murder because the jagoff in the foremost car had to go West... I mean really, a second light like that without an arrow is as glib a display of convenience as giving a homeless man a refrigerator.

And while Im at it!!! This just happened recently and is specific to me as far as I know. It is an occurrence that I am stymied by because of its infrequence. That of course being students ability and inability to walk in front of my car. I drive through a college to and from work everyday. The average throng of students go about their business (read biz ness) and of that day-rigor is street crossing. Recently, I was driving home and a crosswalk sat a good 200ft. from where I was. A student had already began heading across the street. By the time I reached about 100ft from him, he had already cleared my side of the street. For whatever reason, he turned tail like a squirrel and darted back to the sidewalk. Mystified I drove by and watched as he again re-crossed the street. Now, no traffic was coming the other way and I wasn't driving fast. So why in name of orange barrels would this kid abandon his adventure when he was nearly home free??? And it wasn't for him forgetting something either, again I watched him (I was driving slow) He literally ran back, tagged up on the curb, and began walking again as soon as drove by... This is odd to me since typically college kids will just bomb out right in front of my car with unabashed determination to get to class. Insane as that is, (because I change cds often and rarely watch where I go) I respect enough their focus to not get themselves killed by my four-wheeled assault cab known as the Suburu Impreza. I would also like to point out that I don't have a vendetta to settle wherein I pickoff students by the packload with my car, nor does my driving suggest that. Admittedly it sounds like something I might consider though, especially depending on how long I sat to turn left at the previous light.

No comments: